Tuesday, September 18, 2012

2...4...6...8...Who do we appreciate?

It's always nice to hear teachers make comments like, "Wow, you really do a lot for our school!" or "I appreciate what you do for my students."  I don't know if you have a WOW board, a place where you place any emails or notes you receive from kids, teachers, or parents.  If you don't, you need to make one!  I use one of my closet doors, and I tape any item that thanks me for what I do.  Some of my favorites are little cards given to me by students!  They are (usually) an illustration of how special I am to that student.  We all need that little bit of inspiration!!!

ad·vo·ca·cy
[ad-vuh-kuh-see]
noun, plural ad·vo·ca·cies.
the act of pleading for, supporting, or recommending 
 
I am not condoning that we PLEAD for support from our stakeholders, but I think we have the responsibility to recommend support.  How can we do that without blatantly asking for it?  I always say, "Actions speak louder than words."  I feel the most professionally fulfilled when I collaborate with a teacher to help a student.  With my actions, I am emphasizing the role of a school counselor; in turn, I am "recommending" that the teacher supports what I do.  It's kind of a win-win, as not only the student get help but also the teacher and me!  Accept this responsibility and advocate for your counseling program!

No comments:

Post a Comment